As a franchise owner with multiple store locations, it can be tempting to choose an off-the-shelf surveillance solution. Afterall, they seem easy to understand, easy to install, and they have a 24/7 service hotline. So why not pick one up at the closest big box store?
Take a closer look before you settle for less!
When choosing an “off-the-shelf” solution, you may be sacrificing more than you realize. On the surface, choosing from one of the big name hardware and software surveillance providers on the market may seem like a more cost effective option.
However, in an industry environment where 75% of losses or approximately 4% of annual sales are due to employee theft, your video provider must be able to demonstrate that their systems are built to not only record video, but to proactively notify you of suspicious activity. After all, you didn’t get in this business to spend your day watching video to detect loss! Or did you? Now Hiring! Seeking industry trained LP auditors
Here are some exclusive features of a managed surveillance system that will make you think twice about off-the-shelf products:
- Enterprise Scalability and Flexibility: An off-the-shelf solution may meet your needs today, but what happens when you add another location or theft begins to skyrocket at one of your locations? A managed service provider offers you the flexibility you need to scale your system as your business grows.. Managed Video Services allow you to focus on profits, customer service, and running your business efficiently, and not on watching hours of surveillance video.
- Single-Sign-On: Your off the shelf solution likely has a web or mobile application for you to keep an eye on your locations at all times. That’s Cool! However, if you operate multiple locations, you are unable to toggle between store locations to quickly gain visibility across all your operations. An enterprise solution provides single-sign-on flexibility to see all your locations with one username and password.
- Point-of-Sale Integration & Exception-Based Reporting: Access POS data and review high priority transactions without searching through hours of video. POS integration allows you to easily assess register activity by showing you video with transaction data overlayed.
- Auditing: Utilizing a combination of video, audio, and POS data from each of your locations, a managed service provider can can conduct audits of your locations on a regular basis. This allows you to easily identify suspicious activity, recognize trends and investigate when needed.
- Off-Site Storage: In the event your DVR is damaged or stolen, off-site storage ensures your data is backed up to a secure video cloud. Off-site storage is paired with DVR replacement insurance so the cost of new hardware won’t come out of your own pocket.
- System Health Checks: Let’s face it, things happen and products sometimes fail. A managed surveillance system can provide you with Automated System Health Checks to ensure your system is fully functional. If an incident happens, you can rest assured that you have the footage to prove it.
- Case Management: Let’s say you learn that one of your employees has been stealing from the register. Without managed video services, it would take days to investigate Suzy’s bad habits and compile the proof you need to take action. A managed services provider will build a comprehensive case for you in a few hours.
- Legal Proof: The average quick-service restaurant slip-and-fall claim costs $5,800.. In the event of a lawsuit, franchise owners need the legally submissible evidence to defend each case. A managed service provider will provide you the time-stamped proof you need after an emergency and can save you thousands of dollars on false claims.
|Features||DTT – 8 IP Camera||Off-the-Shelf – 8 IP Camera|
|Number of Cameras||8||8|
|Camera Resolution||4 Megapixels||4 Megapixels|
|Night Vision Range||Yes||Yes|
|Camera Connectivity||Direct & via Network||Direct & via Network|
|Recording Method||NVR||DVR/Hard Drive|
|Max HD Capacity||12 TB||12TB|
|Smartphone Compatible||Multiple Sites (single sign-on)||Single Site|
|RISA/RISA+ (911 Proof)||Yes||No|
|Installation & Repair||Yes||No|
|POS Integration / Exception Reports||Yes||No|
Is the lower upfront cost of an off-the-shelf solution really worth it?
There are strong benefits when considering an off-the-shelf solution, primarily the low upfront cost. But cost alone is somewhat superficial; the initial purchase cost is only one of many possible price considerations for off-the-shelf software. Additional consideration might include upgrades, software support, monthly or annual licensing fees, per-website or installation licenses, and per-seat costs, which can all inflate your budget.
Over time these fees can exceed the costs of a customized solution without any of the advantages. Most off-the-shelf solutions will not be a perfect fit for your company. The fact that you will have to adjust your processes and staff behavior to fit the software (rather than the software fitting your business) is an additional hidden cost.
Learn more about how DTT’s Managed Service offerings can protect and enhance your business. Contact us today for a free demo and quote. www.dttusa.com